The defense attorney for Scott Rothstein, who is confined to a cell in a secret location, while serving a 50-year Federal sentence for his billion dollar Ponzi scheme, has "strenuously" objected to the motion recently filed by the US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, to withdraw its pending Rule 35 Motion for Reduction of Sentence.
Rothstein's counsel's arguments:
(1) The Government breached its obligations under his Plea Agreement.
(2) The Government has abused its discretion in denying Rothstein his opportunity for a sentence reduction, in violation of his Constitutional rights.
(3) Rothstein did not provide material false information to the Government.
(4) Rothstein deserves a full and fair hearing on the merits.
(5) The complex issues to be presented require at least 60 days in which to respond.
The Court has granted the request for the extension of time for the defendant's attorney to reply to the Government's motion.