Most observers of the European regulatory scene believe that the upcoming 5th MONEYVAL Evaluation Report on Malta will be negative, especially on the raising of Country Risk. The Government of Malta has recently gone to great lengths to launch a public relations campaign well in advance of the Report's release.
The evidence of this:
(1) An article touting Malta as Low Risk for Money Laundering, from the State broadcaster.
(2) An article on the principal pro-government newspaper claiming that Malta is Low risk, based upon a report that uses 2011 vintage data to support its conclusions.
(3) An article in a newspaper owned by a member of the party in power in government.
(4) An article on the Chamber of Commerce website, which is run by a PR firm.
(5) An article touting Malta's creation of a crypto-currency anti-money laundering program
We await the release of the report, and trust that Malta takes heed of the findings of fact, and conducts real reform, rather than attempt to snow the Maltese public through a misleading public relations campaign.