This fraud was seen in the US last year, in a slghtly different form, and now it is back in miami. I have been receiving multiple calls of late from interested investors, all wanting to get on board, and seeking to engage an expert (me) to tell them that it is legitimate and high-yield. I am afraud it is only the 2020 version of last year's bond scam.
Here's how it works:
(1) The victim is approached by a local fraudster with a "too-good-to-be-true" story of the availability of a lucrative investment in bonds issued by the Government of Zimbabwe, and backed by US currency, or the full faith and credit of the United States, depending upon who solicits you.
(2) the story: the original bonds are in a safety-deposit box in Switzerland where, coincidenitally, equipment exists to "authenticate" the bonds, prior to making a demand for payment, also in Switzerland, sttangely enough.
(3) The victim, who is asked to sign a contract in the US to purchase them at a discount, must thereafter fly to Switzerland to validate/authenticate them, prior to redeeming them, and then to sell at a major profit. That is the represantation made by the fraudsters.
(4) Greed takes over objectivity; the victim buys the "investment, " and travels to Switzerland to obtain his purchsse after validating it, only to find that fees and costs, not previously mentioned, are required to gain access to the purported authentication machine. The fees are substantial.
(5) Of course, the bonds proffered are just color photocopies of original instruments that are worthless; the victim has spent money on his travel, and still more money to validate his bogus and worthless "bonds." He will sustain a total loss.